A person with an overactive bladder knows the panicked feeling of suddenly needing to urinate. Sometimes this urge is so great a person has an involuntary loss of urine. Other times, an overactive bladder is disruptive to a person’s sleep or daily life. According to The Official Foundation of the American Urological Association, approximately 33 million Americans suffer from overactive bladder.
The Mayo Clinic recognizes the psychological stress that can come with an overactive bladder. You may feel embarrassed and chose to isolate yourself. We’re here to tell you there is no need to be ashamed. Just look at the statistics! 30 percent of men and 40 percent of women in the U.S. live with overactive bladder. And besides, there are a number of home remedies that can make your overactive bladder nothing more than a minor nuisance.
1. Whole wheat. Happy bowels lead to a happy bladder. Improve your bowel function by regularly consuming foods high in fiber, like whole wheat. Healthline also recommends fresh fruits, bran cereal, and beans, as fiber-rich foods.
2. Pumpkin seeds. Life Extension explains Native Americans have long used pumpkin seeds to treat urinary problems, including overactive bladder. It works because pumpkin seeds increase testosterone production and thus strengthen pelvic muscles.
3. Bananas. Foods high in magnesium, such as bananas, corn, and potatoes, can help reduce muscle spasms, says Health.com. Magnesium is also important in encouraging your bladder to empty completely and thus prevent frequent urination.
4. Milk. Vitamin D, which is found in milk, fish, and eggs, reduces the risk of incontinence (leaking). This is especially true in women, reports Health.com.
5. Walnuts. Healthline reports L-Arginine is an amino acid that makes nitric oxide and is important in maintaining a healthy lower urinary tract. In addition to walnuts, L-Arginine is found in coconut, soybeans, and chickpeas.
6. Guided imagery. Believe it or not, but this cognitive therapy can change the way you think. Healthline says that conjuring certain images and thoughts can put you in a relaxed state of mind and can even calm the feeling of needing to suddenly urinate.
7. Acupressure. There are pressure points on the surface your body that when pressed, stimulate or suppress different body systems. According to Livestrong,the pressure point behind the inner ankle bone can be pressed in order to treat frequent urination. This pressure point is also useful in relieving constipation.
Don’t let an overactive bladder disrupt your life! Try these home remedies today.
How do you treat an overactive bladder? Tell us and SHARE this article on social media!