Ingredients 3 long and slim eggplant Asian variety was used 4 chicken breast fillet 750 grams 15 pieces pepperoni 1 cup mozzarella freshly grated 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded 1/4 teaspoon ground sage 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram salt and ground black pepper to taste 1 large egg beaten 1 tablespoon olive oil oil for frying fresh parsley for garnishing Desiccated Coconut Mixture : 1/4 cup desiccated coconut 1/8 teaspoon ground sage 1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram 1/8 teaspoon Spanish paprika salt & ground black pepper to taste Tomato Mixture : 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded 1/8 teaspoon ground oregano 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme 1/8 teaspoon ground sage 1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram 1 tsp sweetener optional
Slice eggplant, 1 inch wide and 2 to 3 inches long. Season with salt and let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Pat dry water, if any.
- Wash chicken with cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Make a cut/slice in between each fillet without separating – this is where you’ll stuff your eggplant later. Season with ¼ Tsp. sage, ¼Tsp. tarragon, ¼ Tsp. marjoram, salt and black pepper on both sides. Set aside.
- Tomato Mixture. In a bowl, combine diced tomatoes, parmesan cheese, oregano, thyme, sage, tarragon, marjoram and sweetener (if using). Set aside.
- In a skillet with oil, fry eggplant until tender and slightly brown on both sides. Set aside.
- Season desiccated coconut with sage, tarragon, marjoram, spanish paprika, salt and ground black pepper.
- Coat chicken with egg and coconut. Dip chicken breast fillet in beaten egg and coat all sides with seasoned desiccated coconut.
- In the same skillet, add more oil for frying. Slightly brown chicken pieces for 2 minutes on each side. Make sure the oil is hot but not smoking. Transfer chicken to a plate with paper towel.
- Grease baking pan with olive oil. Spread a thin layer (about 5 tablespoons) of tomato mixture. Lay chicken breast fillet side by side. Stuff fried eggplant in each chicken breast fillet, about two slices per fillet. Spread the remaining eggplant around the baking pan. Spread tomato mixture generously on all chicken breast fillet. Sprinkle with parmesan and mozzarella. Top with pepperoni.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375F for 25 to 30 minutes until chicken has been cooked thoroughly while parmesan and mozzarella are completely melted and slightly golden brown.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley, if desired.
Recipe Notes Each slice is 1/2 chicken fillet.