Fattier meat cuts are better since they have more fat and less protein. In order to reduce the intake of bacteria, antibiotics, and steroid hormones, choose organic eggs and organic or grass fed animal foods.
- Clean proteins obtained from local sources of clean, grass fed meats and poultry are the best choice.
- Meat: beef, wild game, veal, lamb, goat. Grass-fed meat is better as it has an improved fatty acid profile.
- Poultry: turkey, chicken, quail, duck, Cornish hen, pheasant, goose.
- Fish or seafood of any kind and wild caught is the best choice: calamari, anchovies, cod, catfish, flounder, herring, halibut, mackerel, salmon, mahi-mahi, sole, sardines, tuna, scrod, snapper, and trout.
You can also consume canned tuna and salmon, but if they contain no added fillers or sugar, and you should avoid fried and breaded seafood.
- Whole eggs: You can consume them scrambled, omelets, fried, deviled, hard-boiled, poached, and soft-boiled.
- Shellfish: crab, clams, lobster, shrimp, scallops, squid, oysters, mussels. Note that you should avoid crab meat, as it is rich in additives, like gluten and sugar.
- Peanut butter and soy products like tofu, tempeh, and edamame should be consumed I limited amounts as they are rich in carbohydrates, but they are excellent sources of protein.
Whey protein powders, pea, rice, pea, hemp or other vegetable protein powders. Note that whey protein is insulinogenic, that it, it can lead to an insulin spike in the body, so you should consume it moderately in case you face difficulties in losing weight or getting into ketosis.
Fats and Oils
When on a ketogenic diet, most of the calories are supplied by dietary fats. Therefore, you should keep the digestive tolerance in mind.
The majority of people cannot stand the consumption of high amounts of mayonnaise, vegetable oil, or even olive oil over time. However, this is useful due to the fact that vegetable oils are rich in polyunsaturated Omega-6 fatty acids.
They stimulate inflammation in the body, and may lead to sickness if they are the only source of fat, so it is advisable that you cook them.
Omega-6 fatty acids can be found in margarine, nut oils, soybean oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, canola oil and safflower oil.
CLICK NEXT PAGE BELOW TO CONTINUE READING …