- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef, or ground turkey
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup canned diced green chiles, or 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 black pepper, to taste
- Cook ground beef or turkey and garlic in a nonstick skillet, breaking apart the meat, until well browned. Drain off any fat very well, then return to the pan. Add bell peppers and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin.
- Place tomatoes, kidney beans, onion, chilies or jalapeno, tomato paste, and meat mixture in a slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on High until flavors are blended, about 4-5 hours. Season to taste with black pepper.
Per serving: 4 SmartPoint; 3 PointsPlus; 2 POINTS (old) Serving Size: 1 (184 g) Servings Per Recipe: 12