The cinnamon and nutmeg in the recipe add a pleasant, somewhat exotic flavor, but they are not essential. If you aren’t sure if you would like the spices, leave them out or add a smaller amount.
If you’d like to make this a complete one-pot meal, add a cup of long-grain white rice and 1 1/2 cups of water or stock to the skillet along with the cabbage and simmer as directed until the cabbage and rice are tender.
Savoy cabbage is another option for this casserole. While it is milder in flavor than green cabbage, both kinds of cabbage can be used interchangeably in most recipes.
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 lbs. Lean ground beef
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 tsp. Minced garlic
- 4-5 C. Chopped cabbage
- 1 Can tomato sauce 15oz.
- 2 Cans Diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large and deep-sided skillet or pot over medium-high heat on the stove.
- Add the olive oil, ground beef, and onions to the skillet, and saute until the beef is completely browned. Drain any excess fat.
- Place the minced garlic, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, cabbage, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste in the skillet, and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to simmer, and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes until the cabbage has softened.
- Serve with freshly chopped parsley for garnish if desired.
YIELD: 6 SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 519TOTAL FAT: 21gSATURATED FAT: 7gTRANS FAT: 1gUNSATURATED FAT: 11gCHOLESTEROL: 135mgSODIUM: 657mgCARBOHYDRATES: 36gFIBER: 12gSUGAR: 19gPROTEIN: 51g
3 WW Smartpts