It really helps you stay on program when you are having a “hungry” day!
The great part of this soup is that you can eat it as snack or before a meal to help fill you up and help you with portion control. Or you can serve it as lunch or dinner – add some protein like chicken or fish to the soup or serve the soup with additional veggies – sweet potatoes are delicious and a leafy green salad drizzled with a little olive oil and red wine vinegar.
Zero points vegetable soup recipe
Ingredients for zero points vegetable soup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced – approximately 1 cup
- 2 large carrots, diced – approximately 1½ cups
- 1 large green, red, yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded, cored and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced – approximately 2 pounds
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded – approximately 1 medium head
- 2 cups Swiss chard, chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into small florets – approximately ½ large head
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small florets – approximately 2 medium broccoli crowns
- 2 tsp. thyme, fresh, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, or chives, fresh, chopped
- ½ tsp. salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp. black pepper, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice – optional
How to make zero point vegetable soup:
- Put garlic, vegetables, thyme and broth into a large soup pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, partly covered, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley or chives; season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Simmer on uncovered on low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.
- Yields: about twelve 1-cup servings