You don’t have to eat an entire cake in order to max out the recommended daily sugar intake. In fact, many foods that aren’t desserts are still crammed full of the added sweetener. While we all know how important it is to limit our sugar intake, excess sugar consumption is more common than you may think In fact, according to an article from Prevention, Americans eat on average 22 teaspoons per day of sugar!
While eating too much, sugar seems to be “normal”; it can definitely have severe impacts on your health. Let’s take a look at the effects of too much sugar on your body. You may be surprised to learn the ways that sugar impacts your body. Here are 5 signs you are consuming too much:
1. Constant Food Cravings An article from Prevention indicates that the more you eat sugar, the more sugar your body craves. It creates a vicious cycle where you body actually builds up a tolerance and it starts to think that it needs more sugar to function. It is often compared to the same thing that an addict may experience once they start abusing drugs.
2. Poor Metabolism Mercola indicates that too much sugar can result in a variety of problems that are known as metabolic syndrome. The symptoms include weight gain, high blood pressure, elevated sugar, obesity and much more.
3. Skin Issues Your skin is more likely to break out if you consume too much sugar. There is a correlation between the severity of acne breakouts and the levels of sugar in a person’s body.
4. Frequent Cavities Reader’s Digest reminds us that too much sugar can definitely influence your oral health. As many of us know, sugar exposure can erode your tooth enamel and ultimately lead to cavities.
5. Low Energy The tricky thing about sugar is that it can give a momentary boost in energy. However, according to Reader’s Digest, sugar can lead to low energy levels and headaches.
How to Decrease Sugar
As you can see, too much sugar does not do the body good. Looking for ways to reduce the amount of sugar? Try these tips.
1. Drink Water An article from Mercola suggests sticking to only water as your beverage choice. Sugary drinks do not offer any health benefits and tap into your daily sugar intake. Everyday Health also lists sugar craving as a lesser known symptom of dehydration. Next time you have a craving for something sweet, try drinking a glass of water first.
2. Eat Whole Foods Your daily intake of whole foods should make up about 90% of your diet. The other 10% can include processed foods that are likely to have more sugar.
3. Keep Sugar Consumption Low Mercola suggests keeping your sugar consumption to at or below 25 grams per day. Keep in mind; that fruits have natural sugars in them that should be included in your daily sugar budget.
4. Relieve Sugar Cravings Many people experience sugar cravings, especially if they are used for regular consumption. However, a Mercola indicates that you can curb these cravings with acupuncture, yoga, meditation, or another form of stress management.
Too much sugar can cause serious problems. A simple change in lifestyle and food choices can make a huge difference. Share this article with your friend to help them curb their consumption.