A delicious spin on a classic breakfast recipe that can feed a crowd with minimal work and effort. Filled with decadent flavours, prepare our French Toast Casserole overnight OR bake it right away!
french toast casserole
Golden, caramelized toasts on the outside; creamy soft and pillowy on the inside with the perfect cinnamon syrup in every mouthful. All of the flavours of your favourite French toast made easy in a baking dish? YES, I’ll take it!
No dipping or flipping or frying, comfort food doesn’t get any better than throwing it in the oven. Imagine a dish full of warm and custardy French toast on a Sunday morning…
how to make french toast overnight
It doesn’t get any easier to make a warm French toast casserole when you’re craving a classic French toast without the work. You don’t even need maple syrup to serve it with…it has its own!
Simple French toast prepared in minimal steps:
- Make your own syrup with butter and brown sugar. You can do this on the stove or in the microwave — whatever is easiest for you.
- Pour into a baking dish. I use a 9″ x 13″ baking dish (22 cm x 33 cm).
- Prepare a simple egg wash with eggs and milk. You could also use half and half (half whole milk and half heavy/thickened cream).
- Place bread in a single layer over the syrup in the dish. There’s no need to cube your bread if you don’t wish too. Just place the slices in and arrange them so they fit.
- Pour half of the egg wash over bread and top with a dusting of brown sugar/cinnamon.
- Layer remaining bread over the top and pour over more egg wash.
1/8th of French Toast:
*6 WW PointsPlus
*8 WW SmartPoints
1/3 cup of strawberry topping:
*1 WW PointsPlus
*2 WW SmartPoints
Nutritional estimates for the strawberry topping (1/3 cup): 50 calories, 0 g fat, 14 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein
- 1 loaf (about 1 pound) bread, crust removed if hard
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups skim milk (I used half condensed non-fat milk for added richness)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
How to Make It :
Coat a 9×13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Slice the bread into 1-inch slices or tear into 1-inch pieces and arrange evenly in the prepared pan.
In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, vanilla and 3 tablespoons of the sugar and cinnamon mixture, until well blended.
Pour the egg mixture over the bread and press down on the bread to help it soak up the mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon sugar and cinnamon. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
When you’re ready to bake the French toast, preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
Bake until puffed and golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes.
Remove from the oven and serve with warm maple syrup or strawberry topping.
Make the Strawberry Topping:
To make the strawberry topping, in a medium saucepan, toss 3 cups of the strawberries, the sugar and salt together. let sit, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries have released their juices and the sugar has dissolved, about 30 minutes.
Add the remaining 3 cups of strawberries and cook over medium heat until the juice has thickened into a sauce, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Let cool for 1 hour before serving.