Recipe Credit: slimmingeats
- 600g/21oz of braising steak, (an visible fat removed
- 2 onions, quartered and sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (3 syns) – or use maple syrup
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 tbs of cornstarch (or arrowroot or tapioca starch) (1.5 syns)
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste/puree
- 2 cups/480ml of beef stock
- 1 tbs of balsamic vinegar
- few drops of Worcestershire sauce
- fresh chopped parsley to serve
- spray oil
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with spray oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry till softened.
- Add the sugar and continue to fry until caramelized.
- Add to the slow cooker.
- Spray the frying pan again with a little spray oil and brown the beef.
- Add this to the slow cooker with all other ingredients (except cornstarch)
- Add all the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Once cooked, remove beef with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Mix cornstarch with a little water to make a paste.
- Add this into the gravy in the crockpot.
- Set to high for 15 mins until gravy thickens.
- Stir back in beef.
- Sprinkle with some fresh chopped parsley
- Serve with your choice of sides.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 268 Fat: 9.1g Saturated fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 11.4g Sugar: 4.7gSodium: 325.6mg Fibre: 1.1g Protein: 34.2g Cholesterol: 85.5mg